How We Organize Ourselves 2018/19

Central Idea: People make choices about movement to meet their needs. 

Lines of Inquiry:

• the purpose of movement 
  • community systems that support movement 

Concepts: connection, function

Related Concepts: systems, movement, purpose, needs, location

Story #1

What we know about ‘transportation’. 

• Charlotte “Car. Go to SanYa.”
  • Nicolas “The magic school bus.”
  • Seungbin “Car. Play.”
  • Ethan “ 汽车。And go here.” [Car]
  • Lawrence “A car in America. The car from home to America.”
  • Nicolas “No, that’s not possible. It’s far, but America is too far. 10, 25, 100. 125.”
  • Jiwoo “House. School bus go house and ……School bus coming here.”
  • Nicolas “With a car, no a caravan, because you tired, you can sleep there. One day I go to Malaga, that’s not too far. Because you can relax there. You can travel everyday up to Australia.”
  • Ruby “You can go on a holiday on a train. To a place that’s not far away.”
  • Jasmine “We need to school bus. We need sit on the school bus. We need to wait. School bus come back. We can take school bus to go out.”
  • Alejandra “When I go with the plane to another place.”
  • Si Hyun “School bus. Because and school here. Walking so hot. From school to home.”
  • Jasmine “When my mum today, me and my mummy, my sister sometimes to airplane. Far away. Two airplanes. And we need sit on car and go. We go to Shanghai.”
  • Amber “My dad goes to his office, he goes in his car.”
  • Freida “My dad goes to HeFei in his car. When we go, we go by train, He sleeps in a small apartment.”
  • Felix “A helicopter. And because here. When it’s far, when it’s no power. People no power, go there.”
  • Alejandra “You know how to go to Spain? First, we go on a plane, then we go another plane to a holiday, then we go to a hotel and then go a car.”
  • Freida “We went to Germany on one plane. To Opa’s house.”
  • Ruby “You need go two planes. How about we go to Australia?”

Our learning journey begins…

Story #2

A group of students began to draw their ideas on large chart paper. They made connections with experiences they have had as they drew their pictures.

Si Hyun “People go to NIS school bus. Go airplane. Airplane is go to another place. Car is go to the house. House mummy is bus, to get her go to the airplane.”

Nicolas “This is a train. It is going to Shanghai. And there’s a rainbow. And I’m going like a elevator. I’m going up to the McDonald, and I’m back to get my train tickets. And this says ‘ANCI’– clean clay.”

Freida “The train is so fast to my dad. Then dad is on the car. Then we are in Hefei.”

Lawrence “This is my home. And there goes here is America in here. By car. And here is a ….别人家 「other peoples home」This go fly here. These go fly here.

Ethan “汽车,去飞机场旅游。去海边旅游,跟我朋友去海边旅游。” [Car, go to travel by airplane. I go to travel near the beach with my friends.]

Felix “This is the helicopter. This is the train. The helicopter we can fly. Because the train is so far away and the blue one is the light. Everyone needs to know that so fast it needs to go. The train can’t, because with the blue light goes, everybody goes out of the way.”

SLO’s

• make statements that reflect their understandings
  • tell their own stories using illustrations and words
  • use everyday language to describe position, direction and movement of self and objects in relation to others

Story #3

Maps

• Ruby “I made a map of Australia. It is different colours, because the world is different colours. I am drawing the water around. I am making a world, a map This is about my map. Just 2 planes, and also a car to take you to the airport. How about all the class go there and we can come back? How about we go to Germany, Australia, Africa, America?My map is from Australia and to go to Germany. This is like Krypton, America, Germany, Thailand. Nanjing and Shanghai. This is the world like it is full of gummy bears and candy. For Different colours for different countries.”  
  • Nicolas “Is that the middle of the North pole?”
  • Ruby “This is the sea. This is where Santa lives. The blue things are the sea.”

• Nicolas “In Germany the houses are all brown because they are made of wood. Because Germany is like a forest. These are all colours of the country. When you go to Germany it is like one and a half hours with the plane.
  • Ruby “No! You have to take some food or you get hungry. How about first we go to Australia, Germany and then comeback to China? You can take whatever you want.

Nicolas and Ruby decide to share their maps with the class. They present it on the screen and follow up with a question and answer session.

Other students decide to create their own maps. They share stories about their maps.

Si Hyun “Me airplane go to Korea. Here is Korea, go to the bus. Bus is so good. Dad’s car go to hotel. Me, baby and mummy go to another airplane. Go to two airplanes. Another bus go to hotel. And hotel is so good. Hotel is swimming.]

Si Hyun “The police car catching the dinosaur. Dinosaur is go to the flower, because he no like flower. The car no go dinosaur, go house. Be careful. Here is NIS.” 

Lawrence “这个蓝色的是大海,我从这里到那个日本。我们坐飞机去的。我们带了衣服,还有我姐姐的作业纸。这个是沙滩,这个是我的家,我们坐飞机回家。两个小时到家,时间不是很长。这里是上海,开车去的,但是我觉得开车没有飞机坐得远。因为也是两个小时。有点远。这个蓝色的就是我在家里的地图。然后这个就是我家的屋顶。这里是澳大利亚。” [This is the blue sea. I went to Japan by airplane. We took clothes and my sister’s assignments. This is the beach. We went home by airplane. We took 2 hours to go home. It’s not a long time. This is Shanghai. We drove to Shanghai. But I think the airplane goes further than the car. It’s about 2 hours, a little bit far. The blue one is the map at my home. This is my roof. This is Australia.]

Lawrence “The house, me and my mum. Here is go to Shanghai. This is garden, light, swimming pool, maps and car.” 

Amber “我们要等火车上车。这是NIS。然后我们从NIS出来等火车。我要带学校的书包,然后太阳看出来我觉得很开心。火车到了这里,它又出来载我们。这是我们的家,在台北。” [We are waiting for the train. This is NIS. We went out from NIS and waited for the train. I have to get my school bag. I feel happy when the sun is there. The train comes here to pick us up. This is our home in TaiBei.]

Ethan “This is go to Nanjing. This is Car. Go, go, go… to Nanjing.

Ethan “This is house. This is treasure. It’s go (the lines).  

Alejandra “I go to car and then I go to my home. This is Germany. Start from China. You put the bags in the plane’s tummy. You need a suitcase, to everything you need. You need a card to show them. Because you can come to the airplane.”

Alejandra explained that the journey begins at the ‘Rainbow Airport’ in China. You travel by plane to the ‘Jumping Airport’ in Germany. There are many people in Sri Lanka. There is also fish. You need cards (tickets) for the plane. Ms. Shemo and Ms. Tina and travelling with her to her house. Mummy and daddy are waiting for everyone at home.  

• Jiwoo “Me go.”
  • Teacher “Where do you go in the car, the train and the plane?”
  • Jiwoo “I go, go, go, go. Here people go here (on the seats) and this one (on the plane) and go.

Jasmine “Me and my sister and mummy and daddy to a airplane. Isabella is playing with the iPad in the airplane. We go to Sri Lanka because it is pretty. We need 1 plane and 2,3,4,5,6….and 10 planes. 1 car and 2 cars. Because it is so long. I draw the lights then I can see it. Nanjing far away to Shanghai. Far away to Sri Lanka. Sit on the car and go. We need to take tuk tuk because so long. Nanjing…go tuk tuk, far away. Busy, busy, busy day because we are so hot. Far away to the sky. 10 minutes, NO, 4,5 and 10 and 69 and Isabella and Jasmine play together.”

SLO’s

Story #4

Modes of Transport

We watched a video on the different modes of transport Ms. Shemo and Ms. Hannah took on their journey to Reggio Emilia.

https://twitter.com/NISPreKK1/status/1124995562904756227

The students were invited to talk about the different modes of transport they take when they travel to different locations. We took some time to share what we know about the different modes of transport

• Ruby “That was where I was.” [Beijing]
  • Charlotte “I took the airplane before. I went to ‘San ya’ by airplane.”
  • Jasmine “Hey, I go here too.” [Beijing]
  • Si Hyun “Train.”
  • Ruby “That is a long trip.” [Beijing to Rome]
  • Alejandra “Very, very far away.”
  • Charlotte “Very, very far away.”
  • Ruby “That might be airport.”
  • Ruby “It that your house? Is Ms. Hannah in the same hotel?”
  • Ruby “What were you doing?”
  • Si Hyun “Bus.”
  • Charlotte “Bus like line.”
  • Lawrence “The fountain. I like this, I go to here. Water fountain.”
  • Jooeon “A Taxi.”
  • Freida “It’s a high-speed train.”
  • Alejandra “Are you going to China?”
  • Jasmine “Airplane.”
  • Si Hyun “It’s night.” [flying to Beijing]
  • Ruby “That was the best trip.”
  • Charlotte “飞机很颠簸。” [The airplane is very shaky.]
  • Ruby “You are in the night. Beijing.”
  • Lawrence “So, so, so many planes. You come back to China.”
  • Charlotte “China.”
  • Ruby “I see the school.”

The students painted pictures and shared their theories about ‘movement‘ and ‘purpose‘.

Jasmine “We go to Shanghai. It’s far away. First, we need to go in the bus and then 2nd we go to rocket and then we need to go to plane, Far away to the sky. And then when we far away we need to go to another aeroplane and that goes to another rocket and the bus.”

Si Hyun “This car gives water to the truck. This is the bus aeroplane. The bus aeroplane go fly. This the taxi. And then finish and go another bus. This is a truck. Then go to the hotel. The hotel is big and so cool.” 

Ruby “This is a motorbike. The black thing is the road and the motorbikes go very fast. And this is the lumpy road.”

Amber “This is a car. This is mummy’s car and this is my car. My car is beautiful because it has rainbow colours.”

Jiwoo “A car. Here the car go. This car go fast. This car go no fast. They are racing, there is an engine here.”

Ethan “This is a big car and this is a small car. The cars go to the sea.”

Freida “What I made my aeroplane. It was going through all the clouds. The aeroplane found one flower, but lots of clouds. The aeroplane has yellow stripes. The brown things are all the windows. And this is where the driver sits.”

Lawrence “This is aeroplane. This is Shanghai. This is green, is the lights and the red, purple, blue black and yellow all the lights. This is the grass. This is the engine. Here is the window. This is the tail.”

Seungbin “A helicopter.”

Jooeon “Truck. Tank. Oil truck. Road.

Sarah “Bus, going NIS, because NIS is good. Too many teachers is good. Sit down and quiet. Because it is no blah, blah, blah. No running, fall down. Bus goes to me home.”

Charlotte “Snakes. Lots of snakes.”

Michelle “Bus. Because I want to be a teacher. Because my mummy and daddy said go to the NIS in the bus. I want to be a teacher. I want to drive the bus! ME!

(if she wants to be a teacher, she needs to go to school in the NIS bus, first)

Alejandra “A motorbike. The hat is on the seat because some cars comes and he didn’t see and bump, he will hurt. This is for the motorbike don’t fall down (stand at the bottom). Bus. The windows are closed because people are sleeping. They are going to Shanghai, so they can sleep.  The plane is going to America. Far away. When the plane goes to the water so we need something that we don’t get to the water. Something from the top fell off, then we put it into our moths and our nose and you have to bend over the seat and get it and put it into your mouth and nose and go blow, blow, and then you put it onto your back and then get the thing from the front and then pull! It helps for don’t get on the water. My mum told me that. Yes, if you go on the plane you need a ticket, and if we have to go out of the plane we need to slide on the grass and someone will help you get up. And we need to slide. Because then we don’t get down to the water.

Nicolas “I am making a pirate ship. Because I like them when there is a storm and they fall down. They, the pirates travel to get more money, they fight the other ones because they want to steal the money from other people and other ships. That is why they have cannons. Pirates still live. You can’t see them anyway because they are in the ocean. The ocean is a little bit, you have to be really careful in the ocean, when there is a storm. Your boat may break because it is made out of wood and it will break and you will fall and die. I am going to make it a rainbow ship.”   

Felix “I made a rainbow snowman. She can walk on the road and that is she’s head.”

Chaewon “Bus.”

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Research Skills

Data gathering and documenting (audio recording, drawing, photographing)

• Gather information from a variety of sources (people, places, materials, literature).
  • Record observations—drawing, charting, tallying—using emergent writing skills, when possible, to write comments, annotate images, and so on.

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.
  • Listen actively and respectfully to others’ ideas.
  • Ask for clarifications.

Interpreting

• Interpret visual, audio and oral communication: recognizing and creating signs, interpreting and using symbols and sounds.
  • Understand the ways in which images and language interact to convey ideas.

Speaking

• Express oneself using words and sentences.
  • Participate in conversations.
  • Negotiate ideas and knowledge with peers and teachers.

Self-management Skills

Organization

• Choose and complete tasks independently.

Story #5

Generate, Sort, Connect and Extend

We continued to talk about the different modes of transportation we use. The students watched the video on the different modes of transportation Ms. Shemo and Ms. Hannah used while on their workshop.

• Ruby “Two planes.”
  • Lawrence “Bus.”
  • Alejandra “Car.”
  • Lawrence “By the train.”
  • Jiwoo “Here the wings.”
  • Charlotte “We go to ‘Sanya’ and ‘奥地利’[Austria] and ‘Zhuhai’. By plane.”
  • Jasmine “Me and Nanjing far away to the Shanghai. We one car and four tuk-tuk and five airplanes and one car to there and then far away, five airplane and 4 tuk-tuk and three cars back and the go to Nanjing.”
  • Alejandra “You know one day with my friend we went to Cambodia. First, we need to go airport and we go to airplane then we go to a taxi and then we go to a hotel.”
  • Lawrence “I go to the where you went by plane.”
  • Ruby “In my holiday. Australia, it’s very far away. It need 6 planes, you also need go a taxi to go to the airport an d a pane and pane … then you need to go on one train and then you need to go another taxi.”

The students continued to share their ideas about the different modes of transportation. What are some of your favourites? What do we wonder about the different modes of transport? We decided to use a thinking routine to generate our ideas. First, we drew a picture of our favourite mode of transportation.

• Si Hyun “Train signs. A bridge.”
  • Jiwoo “Go there. The triangle. Car.”
  • Jasmine “Sometimes I saw people bump into each other. The car go over the people. Because it’s so small, she don’t see. She is the baby. You will knock people.”
  • Alejandra “I see three cars bump together. Inside have people.”
  • Jasmine “Five cars bump together just bump outside. People dead, mummy cry, sad and she don’t know why people is that. Because people do that.”
  • Lawrence “I see 1o cars go to the train, and the train is broken. The children is outside.”

Next, we decided how we wanted to sort the pictures.

During the conversation that followed, the students decided that they wanted to place all the airplanes on the top of the large chart paper, explaining that they ‘go in the sky’. The centre of the paper would be ‘water‘ and the bottom ‘land‘. They explained that they need a road and bike paths for the vehicles.

A group of students then painted the large chart paper. They continued to talk about the different modes of transport and the importance of ‘road and safety signs’.

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Thinking Skills

Evaluating

• Organize information.

Forming decisions

• Revise understandings based on new information and evidence.

Considering new perspectives

• Practise some “visible thinking” routines.

Research Skills

Synthesizing and interpreting

• Sort and categorize information and materials; arrange into forms or order, for example, with graphs, marks or symbols using emergent writing skills.

Evaluating and communicating

• Notice relationships and patterns.

We wonder how we might sort and connect our information…

Story #6

The Trip

George, Sophia and Justus from PreK-K1B spoke a group of students in PreK-K1C about a plan they were making to go on a trip out of school.

George explained that they were planning to visit Golden Eagle.

• Justus “We are going to golden eagle to play.”
  • George “There are 3 playgrounds, 2 outside and 1 inside.”
  • Alejandra “I have been to Golden Eagle. Nicolas too.”
  • Ruby “I didn’t go.”
  • Alejandra “We ate some ice-cream.”
  • George “Play and lunch”
  • Ruby “Maybe take your own lunches.”

George agreed that taking our own food was a good idea.

• Alejandra “If we have a truck then we can go.”
  • Si Hyun “Truck, go to truck and then go to Golden Eagle.”

The K1B students explained that they had gone to Mr. McLellan to ask for permission to go on the trip.

• George “He said yes to Golden Eagle.”
  • Justus “He is the boss of the school.”

George explained that there are “47 seats on the bus.”

• Alejandra “For our class?”
  • Justus “Teachers can go as well.”

Mr. McLellan explained that the Teachers and children have to fill in the form together to see if we can go.

• Alejandra “Can we all go together?”
  • Hannah “Yes, if we plan it.”

We looked at the poster created by PreK-K1B. They were brainstorming ideas on all the different ways they can earn money to pay for the bus ride. 

• Alejandra “We don’t need money. No because the magic school bus is from our school so we don’t need money.”
  • Ruby “Actually, the magic school bus, we don’t need money.”

Ms. Hannah suggested that we check to see if we need money, when we fill in the form.

• Ruby “We can find some of the money from our home.
  • Si Hyun “I have money, so many at my home.”
  • Laurence “We can go out and look for money. At the spider web.”
  • Justus “We can sell food. Watermelon.
  • Sophia “We can use clay to make the animals to sell. To make money.”

The students wonder where their discussions will take them…stay tuned…

Story #7

Generate, Sort, Connect and Extend (continued)

We have been creating our ideas and sharing theories around the ‘different modes of transportation‘. It was time to sort our thinking. The students decided on the different labels they wanted to include. 

The students took turns to place their picture cards on the large poster. They explained why they chose to place the mode of transportation in the ‘sky’, ‘ocean/water’ or ‘road’. Next, we made connections between the different modes of transportation.  

Follow our thinking…

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Thinking Skills

Evaluating

• Organize information.

Forming decisions

Considering new perspectives

Research Skills

Synthesizing and interpreting

Evaluating and communicating

• Notice relationships and patterns.

Story #8

The Trip Plan

The students decided that they ALL wanted to go with PreK-K1B to Golden Eagle and signed up on the clipboard chart.

They drew their own pictures to help them plan the trip. The students had many different ideas. It was time to create 1 plan to help us make the trip a reality. We sat down together at a class meeting to create The PLAN.  

The students have had many experiences and knew that A Planwas an important part of all our ‘projects’. We began by looking closely at the individual plans. 

What are the most important things we need to remember? What shall we include on our trip plan?

First, we looked at some pictures of Golden Eagle that Ms. Hannah took. We were excited!  

The students took it in turn to share their key points.

• Alejandra “We need to listen to the teacher and follow.” (agreements)
  • Charlotte “Car.” (mode of travel)
  • Amber “No running.” (agreements)
  • Jooeon “Car.” (mode of travel)
  • SiHyun “Go there, bus.” (mode of travel)
  • Michelle “Play. Play Golden Eagle.”
  • Nicolas “If you sit with another friends, no fussing when we sit with other friend if he is not your friend.” (agreements)
  • Sarah “Daddy and me to go to Golden Eagle.”
  • Ethan “Is helicopter.” (mode of travel)
  • Jiwoo “Mummy and me and go here and eat food and here play and go.”
  • Freida “In Golden Eagle we have a playground, my mum and brother were there last time. We need to not push and sit on the seats in the bus.” (agreements, safety)
  • Seungbin said that he would like to have daddy join him.
  • Lawrence “We go to Golden Eagle. We have be safe. When we are going, no when we play, don’t say bad words.” (agreements)
  • Ruby “You can take your lunch.” (needs)
  • Felix “And don’t run away, when you don’t call the teacher. Then the teacher don’t know where the kids are.” (agreements, safety)
  • Jasmine “By bus. We need eat lunch.” (mode of travel, needs)
  • Ruby “If we go in a bus, where will the bus park? By train, the fast train, I went there to Shanghai.” (mode of travel)

Who are we going with, when we go to Golden Eagle?

• SiHyun “Teachers, Ms. Jiao, Ms. Shemo and Ms. Tina.”
  • Alejandra “Ms. Hannah’s class.”
  • Ruby “K1B and K1A.”
  • Alejandra “We can’t run away without saying teacher. We can’t play with the children not in the school. And follow his mum, you will get lost. And don’t eat his food.” (agreements, safety)
  • SiHyun “Take daddy and mummy.
  • Amber “Can take snack.” (needs)
  • Freida “Water.” (needs)
  • Ruby “Water bottles. If it’s empty, we can fill it in the Golden Eagle.” (needs)
  • Amber “And bag.” (needs)
  • Alejandra “Our backpack.” (needs)

What if we got hurt? What would we do?

• Ruby “We tell mummy and teachers take something to help us.” (safety)
  • Alejandra “Take the nurse!” (safety)
  • Jasmine “We need money.” (Explaining that we need money to travel on the rain) (needs)
  • Alejandra “If our parents come with us to the train, our parents can pay.” (needs)
  • SiHyun “You take your bag because we sit down. And your bag.” (Referring to Ms. Shemo)

SiHyun suggested that we should take the classroom chime, which is used in class to gain attention. When it is rung, it means the students need to sit and be ready to listen. Si Hyun thought we needed this on the bus, to help the students remember to sit down in the bus. (agreements)

• Ruby “When you ring your bell. You have to do ninja. Then we have to go back to the bus and back to the class. And then when we finish, we eat lunch and then we go to play. We play in the playground and also we can play the grasshopper.” (agreements)
  • Amber “Bag, jacket, snack, lunch, daddy and mummy.” (needs)

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Thinking Skills

Evaluating

• Organize information.

Considering new perspectives

• Seek information.

Research Skills

Formulating and planning

• Ask or express through play questions that can be researched.

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.

Speaking

• Participate in conversations.

Reading and writing

• Use mark-marking to convey meaning.

Story #9

The First Aid Kit

While planning the trip to Golden Eagle, many students wondered about safety; what would happen if they got hurt and who would help them.

Three students followed up on these questions, they interviewed the school nurse. On their return, they presented their learning and key points to the rest of the class.

• Alejandra “We go to the nurse and we said, ‘can we have the bag to go to Golden eagle?’”
  • Jasmine “And then we go to the nurse, we ask the nurse we can take the bag to Golden Eagle.”
  • Alejandra “And then the Nurse let us go to the bag and then she show us ice pack.”
  • Ethan “And nurse, bag put 1 down.”
  • Alejandra “And then she put all the things on the table and show us, and open it and show us all the things.”

• Alejandra “There I am holding it and I take off, we need to break the blue cap and then we need to take the water from here and we can then put it where it hurt.”

• Ethan “If you hurt yourself somewhere you can put it on. You put it on the hand. Because Ms. Ellen is pretending she is hurt.” (in Mandarin)

• Ethan “When the mosquito bites you, you can use it to put it on. The mosquito does not like the smell.” (in Mandarin)

• Ruby “How do people get sick in the playground?”
  • Alejandra “If you get hot, hot, hot (fever) in the playground and then you have to take this (strawberry flavoured medication) to get it down.
  • Amber “When I was a kid I had a fever, then I put that on my head.” (ice pack) (in Mandarin)  
  • Michelle “I haven’t used this for a long time but I had a fever several times and I used that too.”
  • Jiwoo “I have band aid.”
  • Alejandra “Teacher needs to hold it because teachers know how to do it.” (first Aid kit)
  • Freida “One day when I was sick and another medicine. Other medicine from the nurse.”
  • Alejandra “Strawberry one?”
  • Freida “I had one day.”
  • Teacher How many first Aid kits do we have to take?
  • Alejandra “1. Because another class, because Ms. Ellen has another 1 or maybe we can share this with another class so to go to Golden Eagle.”
  • Teacher “How many groups are going to the Golden Eagle?”
  • Alejandra “3 Groups. Our class, Ms. Hannah class and Ms. Karen’s class.
  • All the students decided that we would need 3 Fist Aid kits.

https://twitter.com/NISPreKK1/status/1128886274234785792

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Thinking Skills

Analysing

• Observe carefully.
  • Find unique characteristics.

Generating novel ideas

• Use discussion and play to generate new ideas and investigations.

Research Skills

• Use all senses to observe and notice details.

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.
  • Ask for clarifications.

Speaking

• Participate in conversations.

Story #10

The Metro

During our discussion about the trip, we wondered if we can travel to Golden Eagle on the Metro. We shared what we know about the metro. 

• Michelle “Train, this train go this way (They go in different directions). No can running, because lie down (fall down).
  • Si Hyun “Here tv, here and then everybody watch there and then train is coming and then everybody to there. And then no go to park. Another no go. And then go to here.

• Sarah (in Mandarin) “We have to take our luggage if we go on our train. What if we lost our luggage? So we have to take our luggage on the train.”
  • Jooeon “And the train and one this way and one this way.” (they travel in different directions)

• Jasmine “We need to get on the train and then we need to stay and another people go up and then another people can sit on the train. We need to get up the train, so we can get on the train. Then we can go anywhere we want.”
  • Seungbin pointed to the train station and explained that the train goes there (in Korean).
  • Amber “When I, my small I go to here, and I this, I go in here and here and up and up. Go inside.
  • Amber (In Mandarin) “There is a stairs here. So you can go from here. Then the train comes. Then you can get on the train.”

• Charlotte (in Mandarin) “There are some cars here and some cars here. And some bicycle and motorbikes. We have to inside here. And there is an escalator there. And, you have to go on the escalator there and you have to go on the train. This is the first floor. This is the second floor. This is the place where you can wait. One train goes and another train comes. And you can get on the train and the train takes us to travel. And bicycles and motorbikes can be on the road. The sign, this one can show us which road you can go.”
  • Ethan (in Mandarin) “You have to inside here and you can get on the train and you can go where you want.”
  • Felix “We go there and there are escalator and steps to go up to the train. There is trains will drive here and we can wait and here we can go down and then right up here. And here the escalator to go up there and we can go to the metro.

• Ruby “We go walk, and then you go to train station and then you go here. And here is train station and you go and sit down and wait and then when the train came you go in the train. And here you bike. And here you can’t go on top.
  • Alejandra “Have two pieces here for two trains. So, two trains can go. We can just go there and then we go there. We can go inside and then walk, walk inside. Then we need to go our train and then we go.
  • Chaewon (in Korean) “Here go to the top and then go to train.”
  • Frieda “Then we go here go on the escalator We have to watch our step and when we go inside we have to go all the way here one train also goes here, this way.”

• What is the best way to travel to Golden Eagle?
  • How does a Metro system work?

We wonder…

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Thinking Skills

Considering new perspectives

• Seek information.

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.

Speaking

• Participate in conversations.

Story #11

Money 

We have been wondering about money since creating our ‘PLAN’ for the trip to Golden Eagle’. Jiwoo and Si Hyun brought in their own money to share with the class.

• Jasmine explained, “First we need money. I know how to make money. We need gold, then we fold together, make a circle, then you can go to Golden Eagle.”
  • Nicolas “A press machine.”

We held a class meeting to share what we know about money.

There were many notes and coins on the floor.

What do we notice about the money? What do we know about money?

• Ruby “When they pay we can have enough money for the field trip.”
  • Freida “We put a coin inside and press some buttons and tickets come out and we get money.” (explaining how we get tickets at the metro station)
  • Ruby “A coin machine, I have one at home.”
  • Alejandra “She go outside and put a card inside on the machine like a robot and then we count the numbers and then we put our hands in the tummy and get out the money, so many money. We just go and pay something. So many coins to buy some presents for me.”

Ms. Shemo showed the students a coin.

Ruby “Yours are 100.”

Where do you think the money is from?

• Alejandra “Italian!”
  • Ruby “I think it’s from Sri Lanka.”

Many students believed that it is from Indonesia.

Next, Chaewon shared the note she had in her hand.

• Alejandra “Because I see the people like Sri Lanka. And I see the bindi!”

The students agreed that it was 100. They believed the note was from Sri Lanka as there was a dancer on the note.

Jiwoo shared his note next.

• Ruby “20!”

Teacher “Who is that?”

• Ruby “A people.”

Jasmine and Alejandra noticed that they both had the same picture of a face on their money.

• Alejandra “I have the same face.”
  • Ethan “This is ‘mao yeye’.” (referring to the Chinese Chairman)

The students began to talk about and compare the money they had. Was it 20? 10?

Jooeon shared his money.

Several students thought that the money was from Taiwan.

• Ruby “Because Taiwan has castle.”
  • Alejandra “One more time, Sri Lanka. No, Italian.”

• Ruby “1000, Because million has more 0’s.”
  • Felix “Sri Lanka.”
  • SiHyun “Ms. Shemo people.”
  • Jooeon “This is Chinese.”

• Felix “Because the lion.”
  • SiHyun “I think it’s Chinese. Taiwan.”
  • Jooeon “This lion is Chinese.”
  • SiHyun “I have library this.”
  • Amber “NIS.”
  • SiHyun “Alejandra’s one.

Charlotte, Michelle and Sarah noticed that they all have a picture of a lion on their money.

They believed that the money was from China. This connection was made because they recall seeing so many lions at NIS and in China.

Alejandra shared her note.

• Jooeon “This is Spain. Spain money.”
  • Alejandra “10. Spain doesn’t have money like this. In Russia has this money.”

• SiHyun “This is China. Police in China has that.” (The star)
  • Alejandra “So this is from police. I know why this is from police.”

Amber shared her note.

• Jooeon “Korean money. This is tunnel.”

Seungbin shared his note.

• Alejandra “From money. Because people from Taiwan has this dress.”

Felix shared his coin.

• Jooeon “China this tower. Yes. This tower in China.”
  • Alejandra “Russian have this.” 

Freida shared her money.

• Jiwoo “I have this, he have one inside. Small have. Freida one have this. (explaining that the money has lots of numbers.)

The students noticed and commented on how all their notes have numbers.

Where do we get money from?

• Ruby “Houses.”
  • Jiwoo “This money house.”
  • Freida “Ticket counter. One day I found a ticket counter near a vegetable shop.”
  • Amber “My mummy has. In Taiwan. 妈妈买东西的时候会给她.” [when mummy bought things she will get money back.]
  • Alejandra “A card inside and then you have number and then have a TV and something inside then you have money. Here have something open, then you have money.”
  • Charlotte “Daddy and mummy. 赚钱的时候我和哥哥在买东西。” [My brother and me are buying things when daddy and mummy have made money.]
  • Si Hyun “My money that Korean.”
  • Ethan “Grandma have money.在她包里。[In her bag].”

• Jasmine “From Nanjing. In school. She gave me a water from NIS school, and she get money.”
  • Seungbin “Mummy, Korean money and another money in Nanjing. Nanjing get money and come over here.” (Translated by a student)
  • Ruby “I was noticing a number and I never count it. Three zero’s. Somebody told me.
  • Jiwoo “I have 10 money circle one.”
  • Amber “它里面都是钱,然后爸爸给他的钱包都是100个钱。钱是从买东西的那边,那个人都可以给他100个钱。买东西人的钱是从他的包包里来的。妈妈就说希望我也有一个钱就好了,然后我妈妈口袋里有一个snack,有一个snack钱在她的旁边。”[It has money inside, my daddy has 100 money. The money comes from the salesman. He can give my dad 100 money. The salesman’s money comes from his bag. My mum wish I have money too. There is one snack inside my mum’s pocket. There is money near the snack.]
  • Si Hyun Money from Korea. And then another money go to Aeroplane station and card and then ticket. And then computer Nanjing, and then go hotel and then mummy is go to NIS and then I come to NIS. We need 100. And then come to school. Daddy get money China. 25 money! And then another one 100! I come to school. Daddy gives to mummy and we use 100 money.

• Si Hyun talks about his till. “Money from. Coins money. Mummy gave. To come to school. Because she likes NIS. Because NIS has toys, so many toys and then likes.”
  • Felix “Mummy has money. Because every day when we go to shopping then everyday mummy gives money to the people. Because they need money. Because then they can give other people. Mummy gets money from Germany. Because there we can catch money in Germany and also here form Chinese. Sparkasse (bank). Mummy buys fruit, carrot and play things. Just in Germany I have money. Because I was a long, long time in Germany.”
  • Ethan “Me go play and grandma gives me money. Go fun play. Me go to friends and they look money. I go to me friends. Mummy gives to grandma. Daddy give to mummy money and mummy give to grandma.”
  • Michelle “I don’t have money. I have 100 money. My daddy gave me. And my have 100 milk. 我和我的爸爸有很多钱可以买东西,可以帮我买玩具。钱在家里拿的。在我妈妈的钱包里。她还在我的玩具包里装着一些钱。妈妈的钱在商场买的。就是推了推车,买了很大的钱,还有很小的钱,然后就可以帮我买玩具了。然后我就可以买来很多钱的玩具就可以买188的玩具。” [My daddy and me have a lot of money, so that we can buy toys. The money is at home, in my mummy’s purchase. My mummy bought the money from the shopping mall. We get the trolley, and buy a lot of money. There are some small money too, then I can buy toys, the toys are 188 yuan.]
  • Freida “I have so much money from my brother’s room. My brother has a lot of money. Because he has money cause my brother buys ice-cream with it. Its 100. I don’t have any piggy bank. A piggy bank, if there is 100 money then you need to put it inside. It is 1, its only 1,1,1 on the golden money. Daddy gets money from the ticket counter. It’s near the vegetable shop. He goes inside, open the doors and then gets a card inside and then we press some buttons and press a card buttons, and then the money comes out. Then ticket passport comes out. Then we get out the card. And also a ticket. Put it in the bag.”

• Charlotte “I have money. Me, daddy and mummy is money. 28. 20 and 20. Me daddy and mummy all so many money. Mummy and daddy me brother. Wutai qui chan. Me brother and me. Shop she long money. 我哥哥和我有500块钱,我爸爸妈妈也有很多很多很多钱,他们赚钱。他们是通过赚钱,可以造出钱来的。是通过造钱的机器,在麦当劳。那里还有我哥哥最喜欢的东西。我和我妈妈、哥哥、爸爸的时候还有我自己,我们用真的钱去麦当劳去吃东西。我在饭店买东西的时候是用钱。”[My brother and me have 500 yuan, my daddy and mummy have a lot of money, they make money. They make money from the machine which can make money. It’s in McDonald. There are some of my brother’s favorite food in McDonald. My mum, brother, dad and me, we use money to buy food. I use money to pay the restaurant.]
  • Amber “My dad give mummy money from his home, in his bag, 10! In he bag. His bag have the money. He has so many in his bag and he say ‘I have a small bag’. And he like bucket, and he has little money. M mummy have a bucket and my daddy said he likes mummy’s bucket. He has apple in bucket. 它里面都是钱,然后爸爸给他的钱包都是100个钱。钱是从买东西的那边,那个人都可以给他100个钱。买东西人的钱是从他的包包里来的。妈妈就说希望我也有一个钱就好了,然后我妈妈口袋里有一个snack,有一个snack钱在她的旁边。” [It has money inside, my daddy has 100 money. The money comes from the salesman. He can give my dad 100 money. The salesman’s money comes from his bag. My mum wishes I have money too. There is one snack inside my mum’s pocket. There is money near the snack.]
  • Sarah “Mummy has money, 11, from Nanjing. In her bag, take in hand. For library because it’s library money. 钱是口袋里来的,口袋里的钱是别人付的。我家里有假的也有真的钱,就是别人付给我们,是因为我们要有好多的钱给他们这样就可以买东西了。爸爸妈妈的钱我也不知道,肯定是老板给的,他们买了很多东西,肯定有很多钱,还有我爸爸给学校赚钱,我们都去你们的学校那边拿钱。”[The money comes from the pocket. The money in the pocket is from other people. I have real and fake money at my home. Other people give us money, then we have a lot of money to buy things. I don’t know where my mum and dad’s money comes from, it must be from the boss. They bought a lot of things, so they must have a lot of money. My daddy make money for the school, we get the money from the school.]
  • Jasmine “First we need get a money from Nanjing. From International school. She (mummy) gets from shanghai. Over the street and a robot and you put the money inside and just press 132100 and then lots of money goes to mummy’s hand. 25! She gives me a toy. It is 5. 2 is my, 2 is my sister and 1 is my brother. He gets 1 because he want 1 car. Daddy get money from my big brother. He get 24! Because, daddy don’t have any money. And then my dad is happy. I use money because I like it. I have 24. It is a lot. Because my little brother wants the car so I give him a car I use my money. Maybe the car is two, one 21. So my brother is happy. So every time my little brother likes the big car.”    
  • Jooeon “Mummy has in house. Mummy have in Nanjing. Coins, 10. Mummy Aeroplane. In the China and go Korea. Grandma have 10.”

SLO’s

• explore how numbers can be used in many ways for different purposes in the real world
  • understand that money is used to buy and sell things
  • understand that different things have different monetary values
  • know that Yuan is the currency of China

Story #12

The School Bus

We were planning the trip to Golden Eagle Some students suggested that we can take the school bus.

Sarah, Amber and Ruby went to check how many seats the school bus has.

We discussed how can we find out the number of the seats on the bus.

• Amber “20个座椅。用你的铅笔来数。1,2,3……20,21。再把数字写下来,来看对不对。” [20 seats. You can use the pencil to count. 1,2,3……20,21. Then write down the numbers and check if it’s right.]
  • Sarah “有好多位置,我觉得10个,我们进去数就是了。” [There are many seats. I think there are 10 seats. Let’s go in and count.]
  • Ruby “40. Maybe we can go inside and find out. We could take a picture and we can look at the picture at the iPad.”

We took a picture of the seats on the bus but we found it hard to count the seats using the picture on the iPad.

• Ruby “Because it’s far away. I can’t count the back.”

Then we decided that it was better to count the actual seats.

Amber started to use tally marks to record the number of the seats.

When we went back to the classroom, we used different materials to recreate the seats. The students wanted their recreations to look like the actual seats, therefore they used 2 bricks to create one seat.

Amber decided that she wanted to use a softer material because the seats in the school bus were not hard like the bricks.

We put down our name cards to see if we have enough seats.

• Amber “后面有空的,很多,我都不知道有这么少人。留给老师,别的小朋, K1A, K1B。有多出来,太多了。” [There are many empty seats. I don’t realise we only have such few people. We can leave these seats to teachers, friends from K1A, K1B. We have more seats. So many.]
  • Ruby “We make seats for the school bus. Because we have to know how many people can go on the bus. There are so many seats on the school bus. They are available for K1B, K1A, K1C, they are going on the bus.”

https://twitter.com/NISPreKK1/status/1130380105673453568

The PLAN

SLO’s

• sort objects
  • present information on teacher-generated pictographs where one picture equals 1
  • begin to explain data using simple language such as same and different/more or less
  • understand that number names relate to a specific quantity
  • estimate quantities to 10

Story #13

Safety on an Airplane

Where would you go by plane?

• Ruby “My plane I go to holiday to America.”
  • SiHyun “Airplane station to Italy.”
  • Felix “We need to go to airport.”

One student had brought in photographs and a book about airplanes as we were inquiring into the different ways we travel and how we can be safe. He explained:

• “This mummy, this is me and Korean airport.

• Big airplane and big Korean airplane. And this is Nanjing airport.

• This airplane and this. No smoking. This I don’t know, no shoes, no spectacles.

• This no smoking and this open the door, this on the out and this flying and this and this and airplane door. This back in the chair in the here and back here of here. And this no drumming. This and this I don’t this one.” 

Why do you need put head down?

• Felix “When there is fire we need put our head down then our head not in the fire.”
  • Jooeon “Sit down and that is finish.”
  • SiHyun “This is card.”

Who do we need a belt?

• Jiwoo “Because no belt is out and the belt on out there. Here down lay down one is go.”
  • Jooeon “No belt and landing and this (explaining that you will be tossed around and then fall down)
  • Jiwoo “There eating food.”
  • Jooeon “No higher shoes.”
  • Felix “When the plane land in the water then anything you go out of the plane.”
  • Amber “He is help baby. I think he need help.”

• SiHyun “Airplane come, this one, the bell.”

• Ruby “When the plane landing water, you find a water you can swim back home.”
  • Freida “When we land on the water, mummy and daddy need to push a thing and then sister and brother and baby will go on it (referring to the slide).”
  • Amber “In my grandma home, I go on the plane.”

• Jasmine “Mummy read for me and then she says the plane go out you need close don’t back throw in the chair. You can put under. And mummy read for me, mummy says don’t take out (seatbelts).”
  • Charlotte “Zhuhai 我在珠海大的酒店。By plane.” [I’m in a hotel in the hotel. By plane]

https://twitter.com/NISPreKK1/status/1131441730123849728

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Thinking Skills

Considering new perspectives

• Seek information.

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.

Speaking

• Participate in conversations.

Story #14

First Aid Kit Inquiry – Sharing our Research

How can the medicine help people feel better?

Ethan, Alejandra and Jasmine shared their inquiry about the ‘nurse’ and the ‘first aid kit’ with PreK/K1B.

They shared what they have seen in the nurse’s room. PreK/K1B students were interested in the items in the ‘nurse’s bag’.

They took turns to explain to their friends in PreK/K1B, the different products and items that were included in the first aid kit. Later, Luke posed a question “How can the medicine help people feel better?” 

Jasmine, Alejandra and Ethan were not sure about the answer. They decided to bring the question back to the classroom (PreK/K1C) and have a discussion with their friends.

• Ethan “生病吃药会好。”[If you are sick, you take the medicine then you will feel better.]
  • Ruby “Sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes the medicine is not right. There are different kinds of medicine that green one, yellow one……”
  • Seungbin “K1B hurt in Golden Eagle (referring to why do we need medicine).”

Alejandra, Jasmine and Ruby wanted to draw their ideas down and share their findings with Luke.

Here are their ideas:

• Ruby “The ice pack – when you put on your hair or head or anywhere, then you will be better because you will not feel the hot. The Bubble Gum medicine – it can make you very good that you will never be sick. The cotton stick – it can help dry out the blood. The bandage – when they cover the blood, the blood will dry out then you can play in the Golden Eagle.”

• Alejandra “This is the bag for somebody hurt and he can put over there and feel better. Medicine all ice pack is for help us if we bump into each other and we are hurt. And it will help us feel better.”

• Jasmine “So under the nurse chair, nurse get us a lot of things. Nurse gave us a broken thing. You break the blue thing and then down have water. And somebody hurt in Golden Eagle, we can help feel better. Here is the people sit down. Because we have to listen to him, Alejandra and me. Here for people feel better. The nurse people she share me she little bit hurt and Alejandra take there and then Alejandra feel better, then me feel better.”

We were excited to share our answers with Luke ……

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Thinking Skills

Generating novel ideas

Research Skills

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.
  • Ask for clarifications.

Speaking

• Participate in conversations.

Story #15

The Metro Station!

A group of students went out to learn more about the Metro. When they returned, they shared their experience with the rest of the class.

Teacher “What do we need to do if we want to get on the train?”

The students said we need use the machine to buy the tickets.

• Sarah “Ms. Angie is telling us how we can go on the metro.” (in Mandarin)
  • Felix “She is pointing where we are.”
  • Sarah “We are putting money inside. Then we can take the metro.” (in Mandarin)

Several students tried to use their lunch cards to pay for the rickets, but it did not work. Then they got money form Ms. Angie and put the money in the machine.

• Freida “I am getting the money from outside here.”
  • Michelle “Freida get money and I and Freida go to metro.”

• Charlotte “These are things that you cannot take to the metro. Because some of these things may disturb other people.” (in Mandarin)
  • Freida “Something may explode. No fireworks.”
  • Charlotte “The gun we cannot take to the metro too. And no knives.” (in Mandarin)
  • Jiwoo “He looked who this one and out here he go. (Jiwoo explained that the police officer will take out the items that are not allowed in the metro).

• Ethan “We put our bags inside and the bag will automatically come out. And then we get it. Then we can take the metro.” (in Mandarin)
  • Amber “Because they have to check what is inside the bag. Because people don’t know what is inside.” (in Mandarin)

• Freida “Because we need to go up. It’s red because it is not to go. You need to walk over, that side to walk over. Because it’s red. You need to walk and go.”

The students wanted to use the escalator, but there was a sign explaining that it is under construction.

• Felix “Found one elevator. Because there can go up like in the school.”
  • Jooeon “Escalator, this is in the elevator, not escalator.”

• Felix “We are touching and telling which high we want to go and this is close and open. We go to 2.”

• Felix “To put there the bad things inside.
  • Jooeon “And there inside garbage.”

When the students were on the platform, they found some signs immediately. They discussed the signs on the bin.

• Felix “That is the sign to know what we can put inside the garbage. The bottle, tin and the milk.”
  • Michelle “Then we know how we can put things correctly in the bin.” (in Mandarin)

They wondered what the yellow sign is for.

• Alejandra “Where the train goes. Please don’t touch it.”
  • Nicolas “When you touch it and the door opens you have to make sure you take the right train.”

• Tyson “就是这个高铁,就是这个地铁,这个是地铁,我坐地铁去学校上学。” [This is a high speed train, and this is the metro. This is metro, I go to school by metro]

The students took a closer look at the map to find out where they are.

• Michelle “Don’t know go to what.”
  • Freida “We are pointing to NIS. Over here is NIS. We saw NIS from there. So high.”

• Sarah “We saw a TV. It is for other people to watch.” (in Mandarin)
  • Jasmine “Watching bad guys.”
  • Tyson “I took the metro before. I took a train far, far, far away. It goes to my school.” (in Mandarin)

• Felix “Because the escalator goes up.”

Felix noticed there are two different signs on the screen. They decided to go from the green one.

• Felix “You see the red sign that means it does not work.
  • Jiwoo “tick here. Then it open.”
  • Nicolas “When I go to the metro and there was a red sign it worked. So that cannot be for it. It’s a sign to say it is closing faster.”

The teacher put the tickets inside the machine and the students went through the gates.

• Charlotte “It will close very fast so you have to go through very fast.” (in Mandarin)
  • Si Hyun “Together goes really fast. Use the card. Put there card in here.”
  • Jooeon “This in the card and open door.”

• Ruby “Ms. Angie is measuring herself and she is up to the top number. Maybe it says if we are big enough to go to school.”
  • Ethan “They are pointing to how tall you are. If we are up to the red thing then we can go to the school.” (in Mandarin)
  • Felix “If we are this high where the red thing is, then we are heavy.”

They talked about the ticket recycling machine and then left the metro station to return to school.

How do you travel to different places? 

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.

Speaking

• Participate in conversations.

Thinking Skills

Analysing

• Observe carefully.
  • Find unique characteristics.

Generating novel ideas

Research Skills

Story #16

Traffic and Safety Signs

While planning our trip to Golden Eagle, the students shared an interest in exploring traffic and safety signs. To learn more about signage, a few groups of students went out across the road to explore the neighbourhood.

The students quickly pointed to and shared their knowledge about the different signs.

• Amber “I see it said up and down. Can go outside.”
  • Felix “That the kids don’t open it and run out.”
  • Freida “You need to put up and then some people will open it and we can go just out.”

The students were looking very carefully at the arrows and shared their ideas about what those mean.

• Nicolas “Parking. Because ‘P’ like parking.”
  • Freida “It is a parking space where busses go. Over to the other space.”

• Charlotte “I see a 5 is there.”
  • Chaewon “5 people walking here.”
  • Jiwoo “5 is car go. 5 cars go. Then no bump. No looking, is ouch.”
  • Felix “5 can mean, 5 people in this house.”
  • Nicolas “My mummy and daddy said to me that cars can go 5 fast. That’s all.”
  • Felix “5 people inside and you can make the gate open. The bicycles can go. Also drive to houses.”
  • Lawrence “I think the car can just go 5 quickly.”

The students were curious about the pop-up policeman.

They asked Ms. Tina to read the information presented on the sign. They shared their own ideas about the safety sign:

• Michelle “You have to drive slowly. Mummy told me when the light is green and the car comes, the car should let the people go first.” (in Mandarin)
  • Charlotte “When the cars let the people go first, people have to go faster. If you go slowly, the cars may bump into you. (in Mandarin)
  • Chaewon explained that people may bump into each other.
  • Jiwoo “Me go, car comes, me stop, me go. No bump. Slowly go.”

• Alejandra “This is for decoration. For the Golden Eagle.”
  • Felix “The sign with the barbecque, we can eat barbeque. The picture, that is a barbeque.”

• Nicolas “Those lines, the car is going that way and that way and sign was for places where you can. The arrow means go that way. The black and yellow, if there is 2 the people go in the middle and the cars stop and then the people can go in the middle. So they just don’t want and bump to each other.”
  • Jooeon “This up and the car slowly.”
  • Felix “The lines are because they are so big, the cars can go slowly and then the people won’t be dead.”

• Jasmine “My mum told me to pick up the juice and then don’t just throw, drink a little bit and throw it away.”
  • Ruby “You need to put the right things in each bin. Because you have to look at the sign, so you have to see what to put in the right bin.”
  • Alejandra “What if the thing is not on the picture?”
  • Nicolas “If you don’t put the right thing in the right bin then the sign, then it means the machine will broke.”

Ethan and Jiwoo explained that if there was a fire in the hotel, the fireman would pop up the top of the hydrant and then use the water to put out the fire.

• Freida “This is the water fountain, when there is a fire then the firefighter puts water to the fire from here.”
  • Chaewon “Fire and water come here.”

Jasmine wondered what this sign was for. Ethan explained that it was to measure your height.

He stood in front of the sign and explained how it is used.

• Lawrence “It was what Ethan say. I agree with what Ethan said before. It is for measuring the height.” (in Mandarin)

• Charlotte “This says step carefully. You may fall down if you don’t step carefully.” (in Mandarin)
  • Alejandra “Please be careful of the stairs you may hurt yourself.” (in Mandarin)

• Jasmine “Ruby found a space where we can go up for a swim. If you have a baby you can line up with him to go swimming. Then we can put our swimming clothes and then swim.”
  • Lawrence “I saw a yellow and black line.”
  • Ruby “Ms. Tina, what does this say?”

• Felix “What can we eat inside the space.”
  • Jiwoo “Eat food.”

Seungbin and Ruby pointed to a sign with a picture of fire crackers.

• Alejandra “We can’t play this there. Because it will have some fire and somebody will be hurt.”
  • Michelle thought it means “No Fireworks.”

The students explained that the green sign shared lots of information about the area. 

• Michelle “All the arrows means you that way.” Explaining that they show direction.
  • Michelle “This is the train station. The Metro, then it is a big gate and you can go into the big gate. The last one is a mountain and there is a sun and you can play here. This is the stairs where you can go here.” (in Mandarin)
  • Felix “That means you need to be careful to go up and this means you can go to the train and then the stairs and then to the big gate to the park.”

• Charlotte “Bicycle is there. Bicycle is small and car is big.”

• Charlotte “This is go to train here.”

• Amber “This say, car go there and people no go here. Because people and car hit and go down. He has hurt his body.”

• Amber “Bus no go here. Go in bicycle and if they go bus and bicycle bang his body.”

• Jiwoo “No hand inside.”

• Jiwoo “We go this, here it show we go.”

• Jiwoo “This one no go this blocks broken.”

On the way back, the students found more signs. They read the pictures and shared their ideas about each picture.

• Felix “What is on this one?”

• Michelle “No school people in. No smoking. No catty (pets). No school people. Yes, this and this. (cameras and wifi)”

• Felix “No dogs in school. No smoking and no cameras, and no bicycles can’t go this way to the big gate. I don’t know the bottles.”

• Freida “We found 1 sign. It says a heart is broken. The nurse is broken. There is a nurse in the school. And you go there if your heart is broken.”

• Felix “When there is a fire then we can take this things out and shoot the fire.”

• Freida “Don’t’ touch a wire because that might be like a laser and you will be like a skeleton.”

When the students came back to school, they used their own card to get back in through the gates. They continued to notice and talk about the different signs and messages posted around the school grounds.

We have been exploring signs and symbols around us. We wonder if we can make our own sighs and messages! 

https://twitter.com/NISPreKK1/status/1135010920558518273

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.

Speaking

• Participate in conversations.

Thinking Skills

Analysing

• Observe carefully.
  • Find unique characteristics.

Generating novel ideas

Research Skills

Story #17

The Park

After many weeks of planning, the students were finally able to go on their trip to Golden Eagle.

The PLAN:

Many of the parents and guardians were able to accompany their children on their field trip from NIS to the playground.

First, we gathered together and discussed the agreements we had made on how to be safe and kind.

We remembered to collect the first aid kits. We had our school ID cards, snacks, hats and water bottles.

Parent supervisors took charge and helped the students safely across the roads and onto the train.

The students were excited to be on the train, even though they were getting off at the next stop.

We enjoyed the short walk from the metro station to the park. We all abided by the traffic and safety rules and were excited to finally arrive at the playground.

The students laughed and played in the sun under the supervision on the parents and teachers.

After a while on the play equipment, we all had a picnic. The students in PreK-K1A had prepared snacks for us to eat. Yummy cookies and apples were passed around.

After a snack and lots of water, the students ran back to the play equipment.

All the fun games under the mid-day sun made everyone very hot. PreK-K1B had another surprise for us, ice pops! It was just what we needed to cool down!

It was almost time to get on the bus to return to school. The parents helped the children walk over to the pick-up location. After thanking the parents and guardians for their help we set off back to school.

We were glad that PreK-K1A had booked the buses for us. We were happy that we all had a seat on the bus. The mathematical inquiry we did at school helped us calculate how many busses we needed to book. We were delighted that our research helped us make the right choices that kept us safe and happy.

We would like to thank all the parents and guardians who helped us stay safe on our trip.

During our next few days at school, we sat down to reflect on our experiences. Some of the students drew pictures to help them reflect on the trip. Here are some of the memories they wanted to preserve.

Alejandra “My name is rainbow. Two rainbows come out. It’s in Golden Eagle. The ice-cream. Two people drinking in the Fanta and then a rainbow change colour the colour is pink and green and blue and purple. The backpack of teachers. The yellow sun is still yellow, but then the sun change colour into rainbow colour and then the teacher here drink Fanta too. The ice-lollipops. One is chocolate, another one is bubble gum. And then inside have a small Pikachu.”

Amber “第一个是坐school bus。第二个是跟妈妈牵着手去Golden Eagle。第三个是过马路。第四个也是走过马路。第五个是在那里玩滑滑梯。第六个是爬蜘蛛网。第七个是吃snack,吃了一个饼干。第八个是可以爬蜘蛛网,脚抬在一个地方。第九个是太阳公公底下吃ice cream。然后妈妈送我们去school bus。然后我们坐在school bus上和妈妈说bye-bye。第12个就是回到教室了。”[The first picture shows we take the school bus. The second picture shows I go to Golden Eagle with mum hand in hand. The third picture shows we are crossing the road. The fourth picture shows we are crossing the road too. The fifth picture shows I’m playing on the slide over there. The sixth picture shows I’m climbing the spiderweb. The seventh picture shows I’m eating snack, I ate a cracker. The eighth picture shows that we can climb the spiderweb, you have to put your feet in one place. The ninth picture shows we are eating ice cream under the sun. Then mum sent us to the school bus, then we sat on the school bus and said bye-bye to mum. The twelfth picture shows we went back to the classroom.]

Seungbin “This one apple, two bus. This one mummy, this one me. This umbrella, raining. The is rainbow.”

Chaewon “This turn around, here sit here and turn around, then here flying the balloon. This sand.”

Ruby “This is the sandpit, you know I see candy, it’s very invisible, but I can’t touch it because it’s real. I saw it in the sand area. I see the slide and I also buried the Pikachu but Nicolas didn’t see it. I see a rainbow inside the sky and do you know actually that is sandpit and also I did something very, very, very beautiful, a sand castle.”

Michelle – A map that shows you how to get to the playground.

Lawrence “The Golden Eagle, we are here and Golden Eagle is here, we walk to here, here and here. We on the train is so fast, and we see the other colours make the water black. It has blue, yellow and green water, and black water. Here this one I got a crisscross, it means not go to the water, and this is we walk here to Golden Eagle and there, there, there…… Go to the playground and I saw the Eagle house.”

Nicolas “This is the slide, and this is the food, I ate one cracker and one cake from home. Then this is the ice-reams. This is the rainbow under the sunshine. That is the sandpit, I made a castle there. That’s the grass, that’s the ball.”

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Research Skills

Communication Skills

Speaking

Reading, writing and mathematics

• Use mark-marking to convey meaning.

Social Skills

Interpersonal relationships

• Practise empathy and care for others.

• Listen closely to others.

• Be respectful to others.

• Play cooperatively in a group: sharing, taking turns.

• Help others.

Social and emotional intelligence

• Be aware of own and others’ feelings.

• Manage anger and resolve conflict.

• Be self- and socially aware.

Self-management Skills

Organization

• Share responsibility for decision-making.

Mindfulness

• Take responsibility for own well-being.