Bird’s Nests

During a meeting with Ms. Jacqui, Patrick heard a suggestion from the ‘Nest Design Team’ that sparked his interest. The team wondered if they could add nests for birds and squirrels in the playground. He thought about this idea and made a model at home. He presented his idea to the class.

Patrick “I made a model. A model is something that gives you ideas about the real thing. I used sticks, bricks and cement. It has warmth. Butterflies will be the birds’ friends. There is a bird sign and other animals can’t go in here.

I used cement to glue it on. Under it is metal. The birds can go in it and play. And the eggs can go there. The birds can sleep on the hay. I thought what materials will the nest need and I chose cement, bricks but not real hay.”

Patrick’s nest included some yellow bird food and some pictures of worms. There was also a cup for water.

• Tracey “How to put water in the cup? If the water goes out then how do you do it again?”

The children shared their experiences with birds. Mason said he had birds at home and also say some in his playground, and they ate the food that Patrick brought in. Tracey described some of the birds she has seen in nature. Ms. Shemo also had birds and they ate two types of bird food.

The discussion led to many interesting questions about bird nests and bird food.

• What type of birds do we have in the playground?
  • What do they use to make their nests?
  • What food do they like to eat?

We considered the idea of bird watching, to see what we observe in nature. We might need to read some books and do some research to learn more about the birds in our playground, before we begin to make the nests and homes.