Chopsticks

The journey began with a discussion.

“What do you know about chopsticks?”

Students shared their own knowledge and experiences about chopsticks.

• Jasmine “可以吃饭,可以夹玩具。筷子小孩不能用,大人能用。我和姐姐有用筷子一起吃饭。需要拿碗。” [You can eat and play. Kids can’t use chopsticks, adults can. My sister and I use chopsticks to eat.]
  • Felix “I keep chopsticks in my home and they are easy peasy. The kids have something up. They are together.” 9Referring to the training chopsticks)
  • Jiwoo “I use it to eat rice, chicken. I pick up and eat. The chopsticks we need hold like this and take something and eat it.”
  • Ethan “夹东西,我可以用,有些可以夹,有些不可以。” [You can pick things. I can use chopsticks. Some things I can pick them by chopsticks, but some things I can’t.]
  • Nicolas “When I go to a restaurant, I see chopsticks. My mum can use but I also use a spoon or fork. I have never used the chopsticks.”
  • Charlotte “我爸爸经常用筷子,哥哥用勺子吃饭,我用勺子吃鱼。” [My dad uses chopsticks often, my brother uses a spoon to eat, I use chopsticks to eat fish.]
  • Amber “我家里有小筷子,KaiKai和我用。” [I have small chopsticks at home, KaiKai and me use them.]

After the discussion, students played a relay game of picking pompom balls and placing them inside a tray using chopsticks. They were all eager to try and had a lot of fun!

When the students came back to the classroom, they were so excited to share their thoughts about the game, and they had further questions about chopsticks. Ms. Tina noted them down on chart paper.

• Jasmine “我们在家一般都用筷子。我们用小孩筷子,大人用大人筷子。我在家玩筷子游戏,和学校一样。” [At home, we always use chopsticks. Adults use adult chopsticks, kids use kids chopsticks. I play the chopsticks game at home too, just like at school.]
  • Seungbin “Easy.”
  • Felix “That’s also my first time to do that. It’s easy because when you give me this one, it’s how you use it.”
  • Lawrence “因为第一个我夹的时候我觉得很难,但是我一直努力。” [I felt that the first one was very difficult, but I kept trying.]
  • Ethan “我觉得很难,我在家用筷子吃饭。” [I felt it was really hard. I use chopsticks at home.]

• Charlotte “第一次玩游戏, 我觉得很简单,而且我一直在努力, 用筷子夹起来放在盘子里。我夹的粉色的球,很喜欢。” [This is the first time I played this game, I think it’s easy. And I keep trying. I use the chopsticks to pick up and put it in the tray. I picked a pink ball, I like it very much.]
  • Amber “我想和爸爸妈妈玩筷子的游戏。” [I want to play the chopsticks game with my daddy and mummy.]
  • Ms. Shemo “Are these Chinese chopsticks?” Do people in other countries also use chopsticks?
  • Alejandra “Japanese, Spanish, Taiwan chopsticks.”

https://twitter.com/NISPreKK1/status/1108265829844475906

We wonder how these chopsticks might be the same or different…

ATL’s

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.
  • Listen actively and respectfully to others’ ideas.

Self-management Skills

Perseverance

• Demonstrate persistence in tasks.
  • Use strategies to problem-solve.

SLO’s

• The important traditions and practices of their own family and community
  • Positive acceptance of diversity
  • open mindedness