Modes of Transport

We watched a video on the different modes of transport Ms. Shemo and Ms. Hannah took on their journey to Reggio Emilia.

https://twitter.com/NISPreKK1/status/1124995562904756227

The students were invited to talk about the different modes of transport they take when they travel to different locations. We took some time to share what we know about the different modes of transport

• Ruby “That was where I was.” [Beijing]
  • Charlotte “I took the airplane before. I went to ‘San ya’ by airplane.”
  • Jasmine “Hey, I go here too.” [Beijing]
  • Si Hyun “Train.”
  • Ruby “That is a long trip.” [Beijing to Rome]
  • Alejandra “Very, very far away.”
  • Charlotte “Very, very far away.”
  • Ruby “That might be airport.”
  • Ruby “It that your house? Is Ms. Hannah in the same hotel?”
  • Ruby “What were you doing?”
  • Si Hyun “Bus.”
  • Charlotte “Bus like line.”
  • Lawrence “The fountain. I like this, I go to here. Water fountain.”
  • Jooeon “A Taxi.”
  • Freida “It’s a high-speed train.”
  • Alejandra “Are you going to China?”
  • Jasmine “Airplane.”
  • Si Hyun “It’s night.” [flying to Beijing]
  • Ruby “That was the best trip.”
  • Charlotte “飞机很颠簸。” [The airplane is very shaky.]
  • Ruby “You are in the night. Beijing.”
  • Lawrence “So, so, so many planes. You come back to China.”
  • Charlotte “China.”
  • Ruby “I see the school.”

The students painted pictures and shared their theories about ‘movement‘ and ‘purpose‘.

Jasmine “We go to Shanghai. It’s far away. First, we need to go in the bus and then 2nd we go to rocket and then we need to go to plane, Far away to the sky. And then when we far away we need to go to another aeroplane and that goes to another rocket and the bus.”

Si Hyun “This car gives water to the truck. This is the bus aeroplane. The bus aeroplane go fly. This the taxi. And then finish and go another bus. This is a truck. Then go to the hotel. The hotel is big and so cool.” 

Ruby “This is a motorbike. The black thing is the road and the motorbikes go very fast. And this is the lumpy road.”

Amber “This is a car. This is mummy’s car and this is my car. My car is beautiful because it has rainbow colours.”

Jiwoo “A car. Here the car go. This car go fast. This car go no fast. They are racing, there is an engine here.”

Ethan “This is a big car and this is a small car. The cars go to the sea.”

Freida “What I made my aeroplane. It was going through all the clouds. The aeroplane found one flower, but lots of clouds. The aeroplane has yellow stripes. The brown things are all the windows. And this is where the driver sits.”

Lawrence “This is aeroplane. This is Shanghai. This is green, is the lights and the red, purple, blue black and yellow all the lights. This is the grass. This is the engine. Here is the window. This is the tail.”

Seungbin “A helicopter.”

Jooeon “Truck. Tank. Oil truck. Road.

Sarah “Bus, going NIS, because NIS is good. Too many teachers is good. Sit down and quiet. Because it is no blah, blah, blah. No running, fall down. Bus goes to me home.”

Charlotte “Snakes. Lots of snakes.”

Michelle “Bus. Because I want to be a teacher. Because my mummy and daddy said go to the NIS in the bus. I want to be a teacher. I want to drive the bus! ME!

(if she wants to be a teacher, she needs to go to school in the NIS bus, first)

Alejandra “A motorbike. The hat is on the seat because some cars comes and he didn’t see and bump, he will hurt. This is for the motorbike don’t fall down (stand at the bottom). Bus. The windows are closed because people are sleeping. They are going to Shanghai, so they can sleep.  The plane is going to America. Far away. When the plane goes to the water so we need something that we don’t get to the water. Something from the top fell off, then we put it into our moths and our nose and you have to bend over the seat and get it and put it into your mouth and nose and go blow, blow, and then you put it onto your back and then get the thing from the front and then pull! It helps for don’t get on the water. My mum told me that. Yes, if you go on the plane you need a ticket, and if we have to go out of the plane we need to slide on the grass and someone will help you get up. And we need to slide. Because then we don’t get down to the water.

Nicolas “I am making a pirate ship. Because I like them when there is a storm and they fall down. They, the pirates travel to get more money, they fight the other ones because they want to steal the money from other people and other ships. That is why they have cannons. Pirates still live. You can’t see them anyway because they are in the ocean. The ocean is a little bit, you have to be really careful in the ocean, when there is a storm. Your boat may break because it is made out of wood and it will break and you will fall and die. I am going to make it a rainbow ship.”   

Felix “I made a rainbow snowman. She can walk on the road and that is she’s head.”

Chaewon “Bus.”

Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)

Research Skills

Data gathering and documenting (audio recording, drawing, photographing)

• Gather information from a variety of sources (people, places, materials, literature).
  • Record observations—drawing, charting, tallying—using emergent writing skills, when possible, to write comments, annotate images, and so on.

Communication Skills

Listening

• Listen to information.
  • Listen actively and respectfully to others’ ideas.
  • Ask for clarifications.

Interpreting

• Interpret visual, audio and oral communication: recognizing and creating signs, interpreting and using symbols and sounds.
  • Understand the ways in which images and language interact to convey ideas.

Speaking

• Express oneself using words and sentences.
  • Participate in conversations.
  • Negotiate ideas and knowledge with peers and teachers.

Self-management Skills

Organization

• Choose and complete tasks independently.